Money-Saving Tips for Winterizing Your HomePayday Loans Utah
Fall is in the air, and we all know what that means – winter is just around the corner. The winter months leave many of us with large energy bills and empty pockets. Fortunately, there are a few easy adjustments you can make to your home to reduce your heating bill this winter. If you’re having trouble coming up with the cash to manage the home projects, Money 4 You Payday Loans has options for you.
Money Saving Tips for Winterizing Your Home
- Seal Off Windows and Doors: Drafts enter your home through openings around windows and doors. Do a walk-through of your home and check for any drafts. For drafts around the edges of windows, apply a small amount of caulk or door sweeps for drafts around doors. Garages tend to hold cold air, so pay close attention entryways from the garage.
- Adjust Your Thermostat: If 70 degrees is a comfortable temperature for you, try lowering it to 68. Wear warmer clothes and add extra blankets at night. The key is to find a temperature you can live with without discomfort or a disruption in your day.
- Service Your Heating System: Maintain a regular service schedule for your heating systems to ensure they work at optimal levels. Keep your furnace unblocked, change your filters regularly, and keep it clean of dust and debris. If you have a wood burning heater, keep the flue vent on a regular cleaning program. The inside of the appliance can be cleaned with a wire brush.
- Use a Humidifier: Since moist air holds heat better, a humidifier is perfect for those winter months. This should help offset the lower temperatures as a result of you turning the thermostat down.
- Invest in a Water Heater Cover: If your water heater emits heat, invest in an insulating blanket. If heat dissipates out of the unit, your water heater will work harder and use more energy. The cover is a great preventative.
- Keep Exhaust Fans Turned Off: Exhaust fans blow moist and hot air out of your home, which could be used to heat your home. For your next shower, consider leaving the door open. This will allow the warm air to naturally flow throughout your home.
- Set Your Ceiling Fans Clockwise: Clockwise traps the heat inside, allowing for warmer temperatures. Set your ceiling fan to low, which circulates the hot air down into your home.
- Don’t Forget the Fireplace: When in use, your fireplace is a great tool for fighting the cold. But, when at rest, it can be a be like an open window. Here are a few things you can do to winterize your fireplace:
- When not in use, keep your fireplace damper closed to prevent your heated air from going up the chimney.
- If you have a firebox, avoid heat loss by opening the dampers while a fire is going.
- Invest in a heat-air exchange system which circulates warm air back into your home.
- Ensure the seal around the flue damper is secure.
- If your fireplace is never used, plug and seal the chimney flue.
Don’t Be Left Out in the Cold This Winter
If you don’t have room in your budget to winterize your home, Money 4 You Payday Loans can help with a payday advance and affordable interest rates. Drop by any of our locations, call us at 855-MY-MRMONEY, or fill out our loan application here.